Is this trip right for me?
Note that with all outdoor activities there is a degree of risk which is greatly minimized by adherence to our safety plan. Always listen and follow the instructions of your guide, skipper or crew. Failure to adhere to instructions given by the guide, skipper or crew may result in cancellation of the tour – in which instance no refund will be offered.
BEFORE YOU DEPART
To ensure maximum comfort, memories and enjoyment of your Doubtful Sound Sea Kayak we recommend that you bring the following items to Doubtful Sound:
- A packed lunch & a water bottle or drink to take on the kayak with you
- Sunblock, sunglasses, sunhat
- Insect repellent
- Camera plus extra film and or spare memory card, spare batteries
- Raincoat plus warm jacket/fleece
- Swimwear (for under the wetsuit)
- Spare soft shoes & warm socks
- In a small day pack or small carry bag
Note: please come prepared for both wet/cold and fine weather as conditions can be changeable throughout the day. Large tramping packs are not suitable to bring on the tour as storage space is limited but we can store luggage items for you at our office.
Once you leave Manapouri and board the boat there is no opportunity to purchase items – please have everything with you that you need for the tour as we will leave shops behind for the duration of the tour!
Clean paddling and safety gear is supplied and includes:
- long john wet suits
- polypropylene clothing
- pogies (gloves)
- spray skirts
- camera bags
Total paddling time on Doubtful Sound is 4 hours and paddling up to 15km during this time (depending on abilities and conditions).
If you prefer, you can opt to meet us at Pearl Harbour (Manapouri) at 7:30am. As we will need to select the correct sized gear to bring from our office on your behalf, it is important you provide your height & weight in advance.
Click the button below to download a handy printable information sheet in a PDF with all the information you need to know to prepare for your Doubtful Sound Kayak Tour.
ON YOUR TRIP
Lunch is not provided. Please bring high energy, easily accessible food as a packed lunch.
Doubtful Sound Kayaks have an extensive health and safety regime in place and are bound by rules and regulations of the Maritime Safety Authority.
Terms and Conditions
- Please note, if your booking is for four (4) or more kayakers, your booking is confirmed and we shall email you within 24 hours to confirm payment and any other details.
- If you are booking for three (3) or less kayakers, your space on that departure is confirmed providing we have a minimum of 4 kayakers in total booked on the same day. Your first booking email will explain your reservation is 'pending' if this is the case.
- We will send you a personalised email to discuss the options if there are not already other people booked.
- Payment will be charged to your credit card provided at time of booking to confirm your space. Bookings that have not been paid for, will not be deemed confirmed.
- A minimum of 4 kayakers are required per departure.
- As the kayak cockpit is a fixed size, to ensure “fit” into our kayaks we must impose a weight limit of 115kg. HOWEVER, Kayakers who are wider at the hips or who have long legs please call and speak with us to discuss if it will be practical to fit into a kayak.
- Children 14 years minimum age – children must have kayaked some distance before. Each child must be traveling with a strong adult (as they will be in a double kayak with parent) and be at least 1.4 metres tall and at least 45 kg in weight.
- We use predominantly double sea kayaks.
- To book your Doubtful Sound Sea Kayak & Cruise please either click 'book now' to be shown live availability on our website or alternatively, you may contact us and we will provide you with a customised quote for your small group.
- If your booking is for the following day, we do recommend that you phone us rather than email your booking.
- Bookings are recommended and pre-payment is required to confirm a booking, we accept both Visa and Mastercard payment.
- If cancellation occurs within 72 hours of departure, there is no refund if we are unable to resell your seats.
- OffSpring and their partners reserve the right to amend timetables, cancel departures, substitute plant or equipment and alter ticket prices at any time. We reserve all rights.
- Full refund available if booking cancelled 72 hours prior to departure
- No refund if your booking is cancelled within 72 hours of departure or no show
- If Doubtful Sound Kayak cancel the tour prior to departure from Te Anau due to hazardous weather conditions or mechanical failure (or for any other reason beyond our control) a full refund of any payment will be made.
- Doubtful Sound Kayak aims to advise of any trip cancellations the day prior to departure, so please check your email and phone. Due to the dynamic environment of Fiordland, on rare occasions trips may be cancelled the morning of departure.
- If the tour travels to Deep Cove but does not go out on Doubtful Sound (due to unsuitable conditions or safety reasons) a part refund will be offered.
- We do not assume any responsibility for damage or loss to personal items while clients are on the tour and suggest guests hold personal travel insurance.
- Fiordland can have unpredictable weather, and decisions may need to be made to modify, postpone or cancel a trip. These decisions are made with the best intentions for guest safety.
- High winds are not favourable for kayaking and tours will be cancelled if winds deemed unsuitable are forecast.
- Note that with all outdoor activities there is a degree of risk which is greatly minimized by adherence to our safety plan. Guests must listen and follow the instructions of the skipper and guide. Failure to adhere to instructions given by the skipper or guide may result in cancellation of the tour – in which instance no refund will be offered
- Doubtful Sound Kayak and their partners reserve the right to amend their timetable, cancel departures, substitute plant or equipment and alter ticket prices at any time. We reserve all rights.